Message from the Dean, Dr. Anne-Liisa Longmore – December 2021
Dear PSB Colleagues,
How quickly 14 weeks of our Fall 2021 semester have passed! As we approach the end of every semester, I make a point of taking additional time to reflect on the many moments that stood out as meaningful, interesting and filled with learning. This semester, like others before it, has been filled with many highlights, for example:
- Our local academic council has been reactivated and our council members have quickly swung into action helping to inform PSB’s strategic actions and direction.
- PSB has such strong representation across Sheridan’s Faculty Engagement Committees and Strategic Enrolment Management initiatives.
- We made great inroads in exploring PSB’s value proposition, with more to come.
- One of our PSB alumni, Michelle John, won a Premier’s Award.
- On Dec. 2, we celebrated 15 PSB colleagues during Sheridan’s “Celebration in Time” Long Service Awards; and
- We continue to take a leadership role in piloting new initiatives such as COIL, PSB First-Year Experience, new modalities such as hyflex (planned for W2022) and student mentoring, to name a few.
I am very excited about our work on PSB’s emerging value proposition. As mentioned in previous communications, since our initial scoping session in October, Danny Nashman and his colleagues from the Potential Group have been engaging with our local academic council members, internal partners and stakeholders and our administrative leadership team to further analyze and thematically cluster the findings from our community session. Tommy Sian has sent out Outlook meeting invitations for three Hive sessions – Hives 1 and 2 to be held on Wednesday, Jan. 5 and Hive 3 scheduled for Friday, Jan. 7. Shortly, you and various internal and external partners and students/alumni will be receiving a formal invitation with further details on the Hives and the sessions. You are welcome to join one, two, or all three Hives scheduled. Danny Nashman of the Potential Group will be facilitating as he did for our first scoping session in October. Each Hive session will focus one of the following domains:
- Embedding confidence-building in everything we do,
- Designing for true agility and flexibility, and
- Integrating a “making a difference” ethos into the student experience.
The Hives are intended to provide space and time through which participants can engage in conversations to amplify and help flesh out what we mean in each domain and what we might need to do internally to live up to our promises to our community and stakeholders. We hope you will be able to join in the conversation. Your voice matters!
A very warm welcome to Dr. Anne Coulter who is joining us from Student Affairs as our project manager, PSB Academic Initiatives, and Ashley Churchill who has joined us is a program support specialist in the Customer Value and Supply Chain portfolio. Also congratulations to Michelle Peon who has joined the Human Capital and Business Operations portfolio as an academic portfolio administrator in Maureen Gioseffi’s absence. And, very best wishes to Marianne Sy-Lucero who has accepted a position with our Communications, Public Affairs and Marketing team as a social media specialist. Thank you for all your efforts, support and contributions to PSB, Marianne. We know you will do great in your new role.
For those who might be available and interested, please join us on Wednesday, Dec. 15 from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. for a virtual celebration and a special edition “Games” coffee chat.
In closing, continued heartfelt appreciation to YOU, our PSB community. Know the difference you make each and every day. Wishing you and those you love all the best of the season and if we do not connect before, Happy New Year 2022. May your new year be filled with joy, good health and laughter.