Sheridan Pride 2021
Date: Jun. 1, 2021 – Jun. 30, 2021
Time: 12:00 a.m.
Sheridan’s Building Positive Space Committee, which is comprised of students, staff and faculty from the 2SLGBTQ+ community, as well as allies, has planned an eventful Sheridan Pride 2021! While the pandemic may still be keeping us apart, we continue to advance inclusion at Sheridan for members of the two-spirit, lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, queer or questioning community.
Pride is an important opportunity to reflect on how each of us can help foster a sense of belonging, respect, and equity for all. The month’s activities create space for us to educate ourselves and amplify marginalized voices. We invite all members of the Sheridan community to recognize, connect and celebrate Pride with us by participating in our programming throughout June.
Now, more than ever, it is vital to connect with our community, advocate for inclusivity and share our solidarity and support.
What to expect
- On June 1, watch for special messages from Sheridan leadership, Sheridan Student Union (SSU) leaders and faculty and staff unions about Pride.
- This year, we are flying the Progress Pride Flag on our campuses for the month of June to represent the diversity and intersectionality of our 2SLGBTQ+ communities here at Sheridan and around the world.
- A Pride “Rainbow” bench installation at Scholar’s Green Park in Mississauga right by Hazel McCallion Campus!
Supports and resources
- LGBTQ+ studies – Sheridan’s Library and Learning Services team has updated the Sheridan Pride Guide with helpful resources and modules available through the Sheridan Library or on the web to help you learn more about gender and sexuality.
- Stonewall Forever: A Monument to 50 Years of Pride – The Stonewall uprisings marked a turning point for the LGBTQ+ community’s fight for their civil rights; celebrate 50+ years later!
- Connect to stories – The Sheridan Library offers a list of fiction and non-fiction authors from the Stonewall and LAMBDA Literary Awards.
June 10: Sheridan Networking Event
Sheridan alumni from the LGBTQ+ community will join us for a networking event you won’t want to miss! There will be a panel discussion and a Q&A session so come prepared to ask questions and make connections. The first 20 attendees will receive an UberEats gift card and the SSU will make a donation to Rainbow Railroad.
June 16: Pride Bench Unveiling
Sheridan, in partnership with the City of Mississauga, will be unveiling a rainbow Pride Bench in Scholar’s Green outside of Sheridan’s Hazel McCallion Campus. Stay tuned for more, including a video of the bench.
June 22: Drag Queen Makeup Tutorial
Grab your brushes, highlighter and lipsticks and get ready to SLAY with @JayJayKings! This live makeup tutorial will help you learn everything there is to know about how a drag queen gets ready for their shows.
June 23: Inclusive Communities – Pronouns and Us: Get It Right
For many transgender, nonbinary, and gender-diverse people, pronouns are not simply words; they are an affirmation that people see them exactly as they are. To coincide with Pride Month at Sheridan, we invite you to join us for this session delivered by Sheridan Social Service Worker graduate Corrin Marier, in discussion with student and employee members of the Sheridan Building Positive Space Committee, and moderated by Dr. Cherie Werhun.
June 29: Pride Tie Dye
Bring summer to your closet with this DIY event. The first 25 students to sign up before June 23 will receive a tie dye kit for free! All community members are welcome.