New COIL resources for the Sheridan community
The Centre for Global Education and Internationalization (CGEI), in collaboration with the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences (FHASS), held two Collaborative Online International Learning (COIL) events earlier in March.
COIL within the Comprehensive Internationalization Strategy Webinar explored COIL as a tool to enhance global learning and internationalization at home.
During the webinar, the alignment between COIL and Sheridan 2024 was highlighted. Participants were encouraged to identify the different COIL stakeholders, gather resources needed to carry out a successful COIL course, and learn about available COIL support services at Sheridan.
COIL Handprint: Introduction to COIL Project Development Workshop delved deeper into the how and what of COIL. Through engaging activities, participants learned what the COIL design elements, components and sequence are; how to find and work with partners; how to develop/identify intercultural learning outcomes; and how to incorporate intercultural learning into their courses while addressing linguistic and technological issues and designing interdisciplinary projects.
Recordings and resources
If you missed the events and/or would like to view them again, you may access the recordings on SOURCE.
We are also glad to share with you some COIL resources that are currently available:
1. COIL webpage. Learn about COIL at Sheridan and see COIL courses, FAQs, resources, testimonials and more.
2. COIL channel on SOURCE. Find all COIL-related webinars and studies/reports.
3. COIL community of practice. Stay informed of COIL news and events within and outside of Sheridan and share COIL related questions and experiences.
4. Partnership building. Finding the right partner is key to COIL and there are many routes to take. In addition to existing institutional partnerships and faculty members’ professional and academic networks, Sheridan has recently become a member of the SUNY COIL network. As part of our membership, we have access to the ImmerseU platform, which allows faculty members and COIL coordinators to: create their COIL “Faculty Profile” and facilitate connections with the SUNY COIL worldwide community; search, connect, and develop partnerships with other members globally; and stay up to date with the latest COIL news through the SUNY COIL network main page. If you are interested in creating your ImmerseU COIL profile, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Asynchronous COIL training module for faculty members. The CGEI, CTL and FHASS teams, in partnership with our COIL consultants, are currently developing a module to help guide faculty members who are interested in introducing COIL to their existing and/or new courses. We will keep you posted as soon as this resource is ready.
The COIL webinars and asynchronous training module are made possible by a grant recently awarded to FHASS and funded by the Government of Canada’s Outbound Student Mobility Pilot Program.
If you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com